[Foundation-l] privacy policy update

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:54:52 UTC 2008

I'd prefer that no possible questions could be raised. Please also
note that this is not only about enwiki, but about wikimedia.
Certainly on small projects, such questions would raise attention. And
if a random user with User:SneakyHiddenName would ask me to turn on my
email... sorry, I doubt that would persuade me :) Maybe MikeGodwin
would, if his userpage tells that he is the general counsel of the
WMF, but that would raise the problems :)

I guess you need to draw a line somewhere, and I think that an
activated email address is a good line. It is the only way you know it
only ends up with the person intended, safe for privacy concerns and
not implying anything. I think it is not unreasonable to expect also
some effort from the user to help us if (s)he wants to be contacted in
such cases. The only not-normally possible action I could justify is a
developer looking into the database if there is either an unconfirmed
address either an address that does not allow to send emails to, but
is activated for password reminder purposes.

Lodewijk