No subject

Fri Mar 14 23:02:16 UTC 2008

start with translating basic English policies, instructions, etc and then
based on this "template" continue to develop their own rules as the need
arise. So in a way we ~might~ have somewhat unified policies -- those of
English language (just dated at different times and amended afterward).

And when I wrote "freedom" I meant the right to amend, add, reject, re-write
(in other words, edit) those policies copied over from English version when
they need it and when the project organically grows up for the task. As
Florence said "left free of deciding the path they use to reach the global
goal."

<off-topic>

>   - More then half of our projects, probably two thirds are not involved in
>   issues that have to do with the Wikimedia Foundation, without their
> presence
>   we do not have a clue what we can do for these people these projects.

Sorry to tell you, but as long as the website is running and the tools are
functioning, the projects do not really need the foundation... That is the
strength and weakness of all Wikimedia projects: the community has almost
total ownership of whatever is going on (there are of course oddball legal &
other issues that need to be overseen from above).

How many times a newcomer would post something on this mailing list relating
to one or the other local project (usually asking to resolve a dispute) and
would be referred back -- not a foundation issue? What could the foundation
do, say, regarding abysmally small Arabic Wikipedia (generating some press
after Wikimania)? or regarding a war between admins on x project? Very very
little (a local chapter could do much more).
</off-topic>

> many projects do not have the size and
> the basic set of values that you would recognise as essential for the
> success of those projects.

They (language editions) will start by copying goals and values from English
projects and then will build their own culture on it. Whenever they feel
like. Whenever they are big enough. And they will hold dear those principles
built by "we, the people" as opposed to those principles artificially
created by "he, the boss" and handed down as ten commandmends in stone to
Moses. That will take time, but I don't think we have a deadline.

Renata3