[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Patricia Rodrigues snooze210904 at yahoo.se
Sun Mar 30 21:56:22 UTC 2008

I'm sorry to start the e-mail like this, but... this is getting on my nerves.

 pt.wikipedia and es.wikipedia are two of the biggest Wikimedia projects. en.wikipedia is edited by people from all over the world, predictably also by people from South America. Guess what: South America is Portuguese- and Spanish-speaking (respectively Brazil and *the rest of the whole continent*). According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_American there's more than 370 million people living in the continent.

 Can we stop being Euro- and North American-centric in what concerns Wikimanias and actually realize that there is a big probability that Wikimania will *eventually* visit all continents and we all get to go there?

 Is this going to be another thread about "how bad it is that people from Europe and North America can't easily access [insert place here that displeases europeans and north americans]"?

Congratulations to the winning bid, I hope to be able to go and see lots of my fellow editor colleagues. Even if that means stopping moaning about the fact I live in Sweden.

 Patrícia

Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote: On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM, David Gerard  wrote:

>  Are you answering as a jury member?
>
>  I'm asking what the phrase actually meant when they were using it.

No, i'm not a jury member, and I'm definitely not trying to answer the
question. I'm just trying to show that either interpretation should be
acceptable, because being accessible by Europeans and North Americans
is an important point to be concerned with. Exactly what the jury
meant by that statement, I do not know.

--Andrew Whitworth