[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:18:06 UTC 2008

On 26/03/2008, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>  > Now, should we buy one? Foundation hasn't been into scientific
>  > computing & number crunching so far, so that would mean entering
>  > slightly other domain.

> The answer to that question is..YES! :) Being more open and inviting to all
>  researchers is well within the Foundation's mission and will directly
>  benefit the projects.

It would probably be cheaper to ask a university to sponsor a compute
server for us. It wouldn't be that hard to talk them into paying for a
box for us with buckets of RAM and buckets of CPU and a nice press
release saying how much we like them and their name on pages served up
from the server.

Or get IBM to spot us an iSeries and five years' service ...

- d.