[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:57:00 UTC 2008

Great tool; I wonder how one could find out something from those stats in
order to see flaws of a language Wikipedia.
Once I tried to make a system with points to see which Wikipedia is "better"
than another, because the number of articles is a poor criterion. I
considered the total number of articles, the procentage of articles with at
least 0,5 KB, the total number of wikipedians and the number of very active
users (and other things, I believe). But I am not very good in algorythms,
so I did not go on.
Ziko

2008/3/25, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:

> Very cool! The growth of the smallest wikis seems to be greatly
> over-exaggerated on that scale. Wikis with less than 100 articles take up
> roughly 30% of the screen real estate and wikis with less than 10k
> articles
> take up more than half.
>
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Erik Zachte <erikzachte at infodisiac.com>
> wrote:
>

> > This is a joyful day indeed.
> > I would first like to send my best wishes to Angela and Tim for getting
> > engaged ☺
> > And Erik Moeller did an awesome job pitching Wikimedia at the Sloan
> > foundation, congratulations!
> >
> > I met Erik and GerardM two weeks ago, and we discussed all kind of
> > interesting things.
> > One of the topics we briefly touched was animated web stats, we all knew
> > and admired Hans Rosling's wonderful Gapcasts.
> >
> > I figured Wikimedia could benefit from similar stats.
> > Of course java or svg would be likely candidates for implementation, but
> > both have their pro's and con's.
> > Also rather than going back to Hans' (and now Google's) GapMinder, I
> > thought to do some experimentation myself.
> >
> > Upcoming html5 promises exciting, albeit not yet standardized, new
> > functionality.
> > The new canvas element was introduced first in Safari, but Firefox 3
> takes
> > it a few steps further.
> >
> > So for now my javascript-only 'Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated' runs
> > only on Firefox 3 (beta).
> > Be assured there is also a recorded 8 Mb Flash file for project
> Wikipedia.
> > The idea is to update these animations automatically from the wikistats
> > job.
> >
> > http://www.infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/Wikistats/
> >
> > Erik Zachte

Ziko van Dijk