[Foundation-l] Stroop report

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Tue Mar 25 12:54:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am talking about cases where no actual copyright holder can claim
anything, not about other cases.

I see at least two cases where this occurs:

1. As Ray mentioned, the copyright holder was a corporation which is
bankrupt, and no entity has acquired the rights. This can be determined
fairly accurately.

2. If the death date of the author is not recorded anywhere, especially
not in any national databases, such as the Library of Congress, how
could you claim any copyright? This is fairly common for translators of
minor works before WW2. If this date is not known, no copyright holder
can claims anything, as the burden of the proof is on the accusation.
Again I don't talk about the fact that the heirs are certainly not aware
of their rights if the date of author's death is not known.

So there exists some cases when nobody can claim any copyright, although
the work is not legally in the public domain. Most of your arguments
below do not apply in that situation. Alberto Korda does not belong to
this case. It is still different that the case where "the copyright
holder could claim something, but he is not known and/or he is not aware
of his rights". Please do not mix cases in a grand argument against
"orphan works".

Regards,

Yann

--