[Foundation-l] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 00:28:51 UTC 2008

White Cat wrote:
>  Joke aside, what kind of an advertisement
> would we put on an article on the second world war or a pharaoh from
ancient
> Egypt.
Jimbo Wales wrote:
Just for discussion purposes, the two ads I see on google right now for
"World War II" are for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and
for World War II History magazine.
******

The United States Holocoaust Memorial Museum has a symbiotic relationship
with Wikipedia also, but in a way that raises no objections.  The image
below is featured in different versions (restored and unrestored) on both
Commons and en:Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

Originally en:Wikipedia had featured a smaller version of that image and in
January 2008 its featured status was under review due to size issues.  I
contacted the museum and they uploaded a higher resolution version.  This
was a generous act on their part because the Museum relies on the sale of
high resolution images for part of its operating funds.  In return they're
credited as the source with an outgoing link to their website, and at some
point the image will spend a day on the main page.

Most well-established nonprofit organizations have a standard means of
giving a tasteful thank-you to donors.  As anyone who's watched U.S. public
television knows, that's not the same as advertising.  Has anyone at
Wikipedia done a survey of how successful nonprofit websites resolve this?
I checked out the PBS and USHMM websites and looked at a few of their
solutions.
http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp
http://www.pbs.org/search/search_results.html?q=sponsors

http://www.ushmm.org/museum/press/archives/detail.php?category=04-development&content=2008-02-25