[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Mar 21 08:32:37 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> On 20/03/2008, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  However, a fork, particularly a commercially financed one, that seeks to go
>>  beyond being a mere copy by providing a differentiated feature set and
>>  seeking to build its own community could be an entirely different beast from
>>  any of the forks we have now seen.  And in my personal opinion, an
>>  especially dangerous one at that.
>>

> Not necessarily. What we need is to make not only forking possible,
> but to make re-merging feasible, complete with GFDL credit trail. Then
> there's a lot less to fear from forks.

The GFDL is particularly bad for that, though, which would make it all
the better if the mooted relicensing to some sort of wiki license
happens. A reuser of Wikimedia content can easily make it unattractive
for us to re-merge their content by adding Invariant Sections to their
derivative work, giving us the choice of including e.g. a verbatim ad
slogan that can never be edited (or multiple ones if we re-merge from
multiple sources!), or not re-merge.

-Mark