[Foundation-l] Ads and monobook

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 20:18:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:53 AM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  If all the languages were voting independently from one another, for
>  opt-in or opt-out... how would you feel if en.wiki would vote for "no
>  ads", whilst ja.wiki vote for "yes" ?
>  Would you rather consider the global project, or would you be willing to
>  accept diversity ? Should it be a global decision, or a local one ?
>
>  I guess that a global decision would make the issue a "core principle"
>  whilst a local decision would make the advertisement issue a "mild
>  principle".

I'm not in support of ads on Wikipedia, but since you're discussing
this, I think you also need to ask the question would there be any
point enabling ads on most of the projects? Google adsense doesn't
generate a lot of revenue on non-English sites anyway, so you might
find ads on the English Wikipedia only generates more than enough
revenue without having to touch the other projects. It's been
suggested that the English Wikipedia is now practically impossible to
fork successfully, but the same isn't true of Lithuanian Wikibooks or
most of the other 600 wikis. Why risk forks on wikis that would only
be bringing in a few cents a day?

Angela