[Foundation-l] Ads and monobook

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 18:14:30 UTC 2008

Great thoughts, and I like where you're going with this. A global
policy from the Foundation saying, "we have ads that can
be enabled, if your project so chooses to support the Foundation
as such" would work well. Then it would be up the individual
communities to decide how ads fit in with their values and
their views on our global principles. As you say, it could very
well be that Jawiki and Enwiki take two different stances.

And this is a good thing! I would very much support such a
direction, as it would put the decision solely in the projects
hands. It would also (probably) keep the smaller projects
ad-free, which wouldn't be huge sources of revenue anyway
due to their lower traffic as compared to the top language
'pedias.

Even if all projects don't adopt it, /some/ adopting it would still
increase revenue without having to put ads all over every site.
(Potentially, give projects options between search-ads only
or on search and articles).

-Chad