[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 20 01:31:41 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde writes:

>  How many times does this have to be pounded home? If you put ads in
> WP or any other project, there would be a fork. Look at the Spanish
> WP if you don't believe me.

I think it probably can't be pounded home anymore, because the
difficulties of forking a large project these days are understated
these days.  (You can fork content, but forking decently performing
infrastructure is much harder, given the growth in our audience.)
There are reasonable arguments to be made against advertising, but I
don't think the "fork" argument holds any water. (I guess if it did
that would make it a "spoon" argument.)

> However why don't we look at a opt in adsense skin?

We're a long way from even considering this sort of option.

--Mike