[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 17:37:24 UTC 2008

Hoi,
It is the Organisation that signs such a contract. It is the Organisation
that binds itself. We will not know nor do we need to know how well the
relations between Google and the organisation go. When you volunteer to do
Organisation work, it is acceptable that you are restricted in what you can
do and what you can say as a result. This is common practice even though
some do not choose to practice this.

Now given that none of us volunteers of the projects have a formal
relationship with the WMF it makes no difference. The Organisation does not
run the projects. The only thing it does is use its power under well defined
terms. Also, we do not HAVE to use Google ads. There are more companies who
would LOVE to have the Wikimedia Foundation account
Thanks,
    GerardM