[Foundation-l] Restricting Appointed members (Proposal).

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:35:44 UTC 2008

The disconnect here is that these suggestions (binding elections from the
communty, limited non-community or appointed members, bylaw restricted
election processes) treat the foundation like an association or society
governed first by its members and second by their representatives on the
Board. That isn't how the foundation is set up, and we shouldn't assume
automatically that it is the best arrangement. The foundation is an
operating company, focused on managing assets and objectives in pursuit of a
particular vision.

Whether this type of company is best governed by a community that is
disparate on multiple levels or some other mixed arrangement is something
that hasn't been definitively decided, from what I have seen. Clearly the
individual projects are managed by local communities, but that is something
altogether separate from the foundation itself.
At the moment, it is not governed directly by the community  - this proposal
assumes that the principle of community governance is accepted, when it
isn't.

Nathan