[Foundation-l] A train without destination?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 17 06:55:00 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>  The WMF has no members.  It was incorporated that way.  The Board could
>>  sell it, but the implications of that kind of move are absolutely
>>  mind-boggling.
>>
> This is a little off-topic, but I'm curious as to what you mean by
> that. In what sense could they sell the foundation? They could sell
> all the assets, but the proceeds would still need to be spent on
> something which furthers the stated goals of the foundation, they
> certainly couldn't pocket the cash.
It's all a little quirky, and I want to make it clear that just because
something is legally possible doesn't mean that anyone intends to go
down that road.

The assets, of course, are more than just cash in the bank and a pile of
servers.  The good will and trademarks would make up the bulk of the
sales price.  They could be left with a shell company, and a huge bank
balance.  I agree that they couldn't pocket the task, except perhaps for
any sales commissions; a 10% commission on a billion dollars is more
than chump change.  The proceeds could then be put into some other
venture consistent with the stated goals, but which excludes the
communities. Nor would there have been a need to ask permission of the
communities before selling.

The buyers, meanwhile, would have the assets, including the trademarks
which they could then exploit to their hearts' content, without any need
to pay attention to the writers who have no contract with them.  The
free licence would mean that they couldn't claim copyright on any of the
content, but they don't need that, nor would they need to provide any
kind of general data dump.  Anyone wanting to use the material would be
legally able to pick off one article at a time.  By the time users would
have worked out how to make the material re-usable, they would already
have made their money in ad revenue and they wouldn't give a damn.  Even
after that they would continue to receive a perhaps somewhat reduced but
still good share of traffic.

I'm not predicting that such a nightmare scenario would happen, only
describing _how_ it could happen in answer to your question.  Sleep well.

Ec