[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Mar 15 23:51:59 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> A group of 12 maybe 20 would not be disruptive, their presence would be
> something I welcome. The numbers of people said to be needed to represent
> the communities was said to be around 500. Now THAT would be disruptive as
> it would get the policy wonks out in great numbers. Not a good idea. The
> good news of Wikimania is that it is impossible to see all the presentations
> that are of interest in the first place.

Fantastic! We agree that we are talking about realistic numbers.  The
problem of being able to attending everything you want is very real.
The idea of extending the conference by one day with fewer sessions the
same time was put into a mock-up by James in Taipei after the conference
was over, but it doesn't seem to have been adopted.
> When you complain that there is too little Wikimedia on the conference, you
> have to appreciate that we are all invited to present or to do a whatever
> session. It is just a matter of organising !!! (They call this "so fixit"  I
> believe :D
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

There's merit to that approach.  Once the initial membership of the PVC
is established, one of its first agenda items should be what it weants
to do in Alexandria.  I favour a full pre-day of intense consultation,
followed by a regular seminar slot for presenting the results of that
consultation, and intiating a search for public feedback.

Ec