[Foundation-l] Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 12:49:17 UTC 2008

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Licensing#About_Bridgeman_vs._Corel

> > I'm not offering a legal opinion on the underlying
> issue, but if I
> > follow the discussion correctly it shows
> absolutely no reason to think
> > Mike has "overruled" Erik on anything. The
> statement from Mike that is
> > being pointed to is about a different question
> entirely.
> What's concerning about this is that we are
> referring to a statement by
> Mike on Anthere's Meta talk page.  If he were
> providing legal advice to
> the entire community would it not be more
> appropriate on a page
> addressed to a more general population.  Anybody can
> read anybody else's
> talk page, but that is as much to enable dialogue
> between any two
> persons.  I still respect a kind of semi-private
> quality to personal
> talk pages.  That someone should derive a legal
> position based on
> eavesdropping onto a personal talk page doesn't seem
> at all the best way
> to go about this sort of thing.
>
> Ec

Come on Ec!  Admit that you dislike Mike's conclusion
when giving reasons to not use it. ;)

More on-topic, I cannot see any discrepancy between
Erik's and Mike's opinion, even though they are
supports the conclusion of Bridgeman v. Corel and Mike
says we must follow US law.  Since Bridgeman v. Corel
*is* US law, I cannot understand what the issue is.

Birgitte SB