[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:57:30 UTC 2008

As there is no thorough research, we don't know how exceptional I am. I
believe that there are many voters like me.

But anyway - we cannot dictate voters on what criteria they must choose
people to represent them.

And I don't want that anybody can say about our good Maltese friend: "Well,
he is only in the council because he is from Malta and was elected by his
own socket puppets."

Ziko

2008/3/14, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>:

> Hi Ziko,
>
> I hear what you are saying but I am afraid you are rather an exceptional
> voter. I have heard much more often the motivations of the type "This guy
> has an excellent contribution, but we have never come across, so I am not
> going to vote for him". I myself got several abstination votes on my admin
> elections with this motivation.
>
> Cheers
>
> Yaroslav
>

> > Yaroslav, I think that I understand your concern: to give people a
> chance
> > even if they work in a small project / language. I agree. But it should
> > only
> > be a *chance*, not a *reservation* for beiing Maltese.
> >
> > Let us think about two Maltese, a bad and a good one.
> >
> > The bad Maltese is someone *only* occupied with the ma.WP. (Is this the
> > language code? I should ask my friend in Malta! :-) ) He does not
> > contribute
> > to any other projects, and his ma.WP is quite bad, pretending a lot of
> > articles - created by a bot. No, this bad Maltese will have hardly a
> > chance
> > to be elected to the Board nowadays or to the Council in future. And I
> > think
> > that he really should not be there.
> >
> > The good Maltese has helped to create a great ma.WP: small, but of high
> > quality (bytes per article etc.) You can check that with the help of the
> > statistics and also have a glance at ma.WP, you don't need to understand
> > the
> > language. The good Maltese has created the Maltese Wikisource. He has a
> > lot
> > of experience about fundamental things, and he talks about on Meta. I
> > think
> > that this good Maltese has a very good chance in the elections. Not only
> > contributors to other small Wikipedias (the MANY small Wikipedias!) will
> > favor him, but also me.
> >
> > By the way, in the Board elections of 2007 I did not choose people
> because
> > knew them from the German Wikipedia (was there a German at all?),
> because
> > they a) seemed to have experience in more than one project/language and
> b)
> > had a good message.
> >
> > Ziko

> >> definiteness,

> [...]