[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 12:37:53 UTC 2008

--- Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I also think that many of us would prefer to vote
> for someone who has a
> view beyond his native community, who has already
> made the effort to get
> involved at the meta level.
>
> I am fully sensitive to discrimination issues. But I
> do not think that
> the solution to discrimination is to reserve places
> to the discriminated
> ones (or perceived as such). The solution is to make
> sure so-called
> discriminated are given the opportunity to join the
> meta level, and to
> communicate with other linguistic communities, and
> to promote themselves
> through the type of activities they are involved in
> (perhaps helping to
> handle the press, perhaps helping in organizing
> Wikimania, perhaps
> helping with translations, perhaps helping to
> provide leaflets) etc...
>

> ant

I disagree with you here.

I don't see this Council being about meta level
initiatives so much as forging a stronger connection
between to the wikis and meta organizations.  The
council is not about promoting Wikimedia or Wikimania
it is about helping wiki communities by giving them a
better information/communication.  It is about helping
the board by offering feedback from wikis that is not
self-selective.

Let me be frank.  If the board wants the
advice/feedback of people involved at the meta level;
they have it already.  Forming these people into  a
Council would be just needless bureaucracy.  Bringing
in new people however who have do not post to this
list nor are involved on the meta level would actually
be worthwhile.

BTW Where should we be sending nominations to the
board?

Birgitte SB