[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:09:11 UTC 2008

On 3/13/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> It hasn't yet been determined what the council's scope will be, but
>  personally I wouldn't give them any power to micromanage individual
>  projects - projects should govern themselves for the most part. No-one
>  can keep up-to-date with the minutia of hundreds of projects.

However, it has to be able to make general policies which will be
applied to all projects. (Not a lot, but enough.) Fully developed
Council should deal with content issues which is now a matter of
Office, Board and Jimmy -- and which deal only with content on English
Wikipedia (if not only, very rarely on other projects); stewards
should be Council's (not Board's) body; etc. etc. Everything related
to content and community should be a part of Council's job.

This raises another issue: Some time in the future we would need
another body which would deal with content only, while Council should
continue to deal only with community matters.