[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 07:36:47 UTC 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 2:53 AM, Michael Snow wrote:

> Dan Rosenthal wrote:
>> I think that a volunteer council is a great and well needed idea. I
>> don't think that a preliminary council, flying by the seat of their
>> pants and figuring out their jobs and authority as they go is at
>> all a
>> good idea. I especially don't like one that is already secretive
>> about
>> who will be on it. There are, for instance, some people that I would
>> not support on a volunteer council under any situation. There are
>> other people who would probably count me among that number. Brigitte
>> said it absolutely best: with a group like this WHO [is on it] is
>> probably the most important factor, possibly even more so than WHAT
>> [does it do]; especially since who is on the council will define what
>> they are able to do.
>>
> I don't think there's much in this proposal that's "already secretive"
> about who would be on the council. A blank slate would be more like
> it.
> At least, if there's a secret list then it's being kept secret from
> me,
> even though I'm one of the board members who would have to decide on
> the
> proposal. More likely is that the proponents, in trying to hammer
> out an
> acceptable structure, simply haven't had any time to think about
> putting
> together a list of people to put on the council. As far as I know, the
> proposal has no particular form beyond what's being proposed openly.
>
> If we do move in this direction, whatever the selection process, I
> expect it would allow those interested in serving to make themselves
> known, and for community feedback about these people to be heard.
> But we
> have to wait to see who steps forward before it becomes appropriate to
> start commenting on the candidates.
>
> --Michael Snow

The original post seems to state otherwise: Bold for emphasis.

" As you can see in the resolution, there
is a statement at the bottom about Names. I chose not to publish a
list of
names at all, I have not finished it anyway, as I would not like this to
become a public pig fight with naming and shaming and everything"

And your statement about the proponents of this particular plan
hammering out a structure belies my point: This is so important of a
topic that the structure needs to be hammered out before presentation,
not during.

-Dan