[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:37:09 UTC 2008

Hopefully, a free encyclopedia sponsored by a university would allow
anyone to reuse content - so anything added to that could've been added to
the es.wikipedia. Still, my comment holds I think - some people will always
be
upset by change they don't agree with, but oftentimes this is offset by the
benefit of the change in other ways. I personally believe strongly that even
limited ad revenue would ensure the mission of Wikimedia for a long time and
I suspect that it could be accomplished without alienating a large portion
of
our contributors or readers.

Having said that, I don't think Wikimedia or the Wikimedia community can
make a considered decision about this subject without information about all
the factors involved - right now we don't have concrete knowledge about any
aspect of this debate (except that there was a fork in the past on one
project
seemingly related to advertising). A report to the community and Board that
gave us the data and research we need to really weigh this option is the
best
way forward and I hope to see one before too long. This issue will keep
coming
back - and each time, a decision will be made anew by a new board and a new
community. Slapping it down because it was once decided it was a bad idea
(without evidence or anything but strong feeling) is the wrong strategy.

Nathan