[Foundation-l] Statement to the Associated Press

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Mar 11 13:48:48 UTC 2008

Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> I personally would be fundamentally upset to learn that my
> donation money, and the money from other donors, was being spent
> on random dinners out.

Absolutely, and it would also become a very good media headline.
Everybody loves a scandal about "random dinners" in a charity,
<blink>while the children of Africa are starving!!!</blink> Can we
get a burping Jimbo on the same picture with a starving child?

But this is a case when more information is hurting.  I don't mean
that we shouldn't investigate possible corruption.  But we should
keep things in a larger perspective: the amount of attention
should be proportional to the size of the loss or problem.  This
is where mass media so often fails, in favor of good headlines.

Just wait til we find out what the foundation office spends on
paper clips.  (Swedish readers might remember "Gemutredningen".)
If they got a different supplier, they might be able to save two
donated dollars each month!  My two dollars!!!

Suppose that we spend $2000 to buy a server from IBM.  That might
be good value for money.  But if IBM's management didn't spend so
much on *their* "random dinners", perhaps we could have had that
server for $1950. Now we have apparently wasted $50 of donated
money for no good reason.

Luckily, however, since the price tag for servers doesn't come
with a specificiation of how much went to "random dinners", we're
never going to find out.  Less information for us saves us from
being upset.  We might avoid IBM if they were using slave labour,
but generally one doesn't buy servers based on management dinners.
Instead the prudent organization bids for tenders from several
manufacturers and picks the best offer, regardless of the methods
and costs each manufacturer might have.

Similarly, the prudent donor should ask which free content charity
produces the best result for donated money.  Could the Wikimedia
Foundation have done better?  Are there any stars that shine
brighter in the cyber sky?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)