[Foundation-l] Statement to the Associated Press

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:51:44 UTC 2008

Andrew,

Who is preaching for that level of transparency, except for you? Details of
every conversation and every interaction between members of the staff and
other staff or the public simply can't be made publicly available. That
isn't because the Foundation is operating like the CIA (a comparison that
holds exactly no weight, in my view) -- its because doing so would hamper
the smooth operation of the Foundation. Many interactions are confidential
for many different reasons, and many pieces of information that aren't
specifically confidential are still not released because there is no
compelling reason to do so and no tangible benefit that will result to weigh
against the difficulty of having everyone's activity under a microscope.

I think that your opinion on the expected radical transparency of the
Foundation is at odds with the community - you say that donors expect that
donated money will rarely if ever fund a dinner out, I don't think you are
correct about that. If a donation from me (which, in full disclosure, I
haven't yet made) funded a dinner between Jimmy and a potential large donor,
or even a collaboratve dinner between staff and consultants or some other
arrangements... I would be perfectly happy with that, it is a legitimate
expense. If the Foundation decides something is not a legitimate expense, it
won't pay for it, and I'm satisfied that we have the right people to
consistently make accurate determinations in this regard. If the Foundation
doesn't pay for it, then I don't really care what "it" is. If "it" happens
to be a ticket to Kumite in Thailand, or a chicken fight, or whatever other
objectionable thing... I don't care. It isn't our place to substitute our
moral judgment for the moral judgment of others, particularly when it
doesn't relate to the operation of the Foundation.

Nathan