[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 20:20:27 UTC 2008

Nathan wrote:
> I can understand that, and I appreciate that you are following the issue,
> but I stand by the fact that I think relying on individual donations in
> perpetuity to preserve the work and mission of the Foundation does not
> constitute responsible stewardship.

But Nathan... already today, we are no more uniquely relying on
individual donations.

In terms of donations, I would roughly say that 2/3 are individual
donations, and 1/3 are big donations (from other foundations or business
companies). Sue should have more detailed figures.

Sponsorship of Wikimania comes uniquely from foundations, business
companies or governemental grants.

On top of that, there is a small beginning of further differenciation of
revenue, with some money being collected from services (data feed) and
royalties. I expect this % of our revenue to get more important in the
future. Sue knows it is an area to explore and Kul has been hired
precisely for this.

Already today, we are not ONLY relying on individual donations, but
actively seeking for more sources of funds.

Simply, the various options we have must take into account three major
caracteristics

1) the fact we are together producing content under a free licence
2) the fact the Foundation is a non profit charity (which implies
certain limitations in terms of revenu sources and diversity)
3) the fact we must not piss off the community :-)

There are certain paths possible which take into account 1, 2 and 3, and
these paths will be explored in priority.

Advertisment is potentially both a problem with 2 and 3. So, I'd say it
should only be considered if we have failed to support Wikimedia
Projects by all the other possible means. We are not yet there at all.
Let's wait to see first how we improve our fundraising abilities, our
grant seeking abilities, our business deals abilities.

Ant

This isn't to say that the current