[Foundation-l] [Fwd: About Alexandria] -> to Usenet ?

Dmcdevit dmcdevit at cox.net
Sun Mar 9 14:19:23 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> This lack of understanding is something you share with other high
>>  volume posters.  When important people start to leave the list,
>>  you don't see this as a loss.  The only important thing is that
>>  you can post, post, post.  Just as the only important thing about
>>  Wikimania is whether you can go.  It's all about you, you, you.
>>

> As a high volume poster, I certainly see people leaving the list as a
> problem. I just don't see myself as being responsible for it. This
> list is not that high volume, as long as you use a decent mail client
> it's very easy to read the threads you're interested in and ignore the
> rest (it would be easier if everyone used a decent mail client and
> didn't constantly break threads, of course...).

I'm not sure what you expect us to take away from the fact that one of
the people posting the most to the list doesn't see this list as
high-volume, or their volume of posts as a problem. No surprise, of
course. But this has nothing to do with mail clients. It has to do with
the amount of inane bickering, repetitive arguments, and off-topic
musings that nearly drown out anything useful. I can understand that you
don't get it, you don't see the problem, because I assume, of course,
that you wouldn't willingly contribute to the problem. Could you at
least trust us when many other people besides you are complaining and
conclude that you are in a (vocal) minority? To me, the fact that people
complain about the volume of this list and your contribution to it, and
then you dismissively reply that it's not too high-volume *for you* is a
bit of an affront.

Dominic