[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Mar 7 12:29:53 UTC 2008

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu writes:
> > Jimmy funded Wikipedia out of his own pocket for a long time,

> 2. Jimmy made one donation, and one donation only, to the Foundation

You are talking about two different things here.  Jimbo and Bomis
(I don't know the exact relationship between them, so I'll treat
them as one unit) funded Wikipedia, starting in January 2001, and
Nupedia before that, including servers and the salary for Larry
Sanger.  Jimbo might not have donated much cash to the Foundation,
this is something you know better than me, but he (and Bomis)
supported Wikipedia, which in 2003 was handed over to the newly
established Foundation.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)