[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians in Alexandria

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 6 22:49:04 UTC 2008

Danny Wool writes:
>  I don't quite understand. Of 14 jury members, three are on the
> board, two
> are on the advisory board, and Sue is ED (6 total: 42  percent) .
> Others
> represent chapters and community coordination. Can you  please
> explain who you mean
> by Wikimedia Foundation.

Sure. I meant the representatives of the Foundation acting in their
official capacities as representatives of the Foundation. In my view,
the Wikimania Jury is analytically distinct, even if some individuals
participate in both entities. This is not a intellectually difficult
distinction in legal circles, but perhaps I should have realized that
it might be problematic for some people who aren't legally trained, so
if I was confusing to you, Danny, I apologize.

What I hoped to have been understood as saying was that it seemed a
category mistake to address a question to me in my official role that
ought properly to be addressed to the members of the Wikimania Jury,
in their roles as members of that jury.

We can discuss category mistakes further, if you like, but I warn you
I'm likely to lapse into Gilbert Ryle terminology at the drop of a hat.

--Mike