[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 6 18:35:50 UTC 2008

Why does the word "subterfuge" come to mind every time I read one of your
posts?

Wales originally used Bomis to help fund the
Nupedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nupedia>project from which
Wikipedia developed. Wikipedia was placed under the
non-profit Wikimedia Foundation in 2003, but Bomis continued to pay for
basic expenses. As traffic increased and more servers became necessary,
Wikimedia fundraisers helped purchase the needed equipment while Bomis
remained responsible for the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2005-02-14/Budget_and_contract

As a side note, it is sort of funny to me when I read people
discussing "Bomis" in the abstract.  Ultimately, that just means me,
since I'm the final decisionmaking authority.  Bomis is not a big
abstract company, it's just the people that you know.  A down home mom
and pop dot-com.  :-)

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2001-October/000657.html