[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Justin Senseney jsensene at umd.edu
Tue Mar 4 06:58:13 UTC 2008

I think Brianna has brought up some excellent points.  I haven't seen anyone
bring up traveler's registration for US citizens so I'll mention it now.

US citizens can go to https://travelregistration.state.gov and register
their travel with the US State Department.  When you provide your trip
details and e-mail address, the local embassy or consulates provide you with
contact information and any alerts you need to be aware of.  When traveling
to Istanbul over New Year's Eve, my group received an e-mail about an
attempted suicide bombing in their subway and the subsequent cancellation of
most activities in their equivalent of Times Square (Taksim Meydanuh).
Since we hadn't been paying as close attention to their English newspapers
as we should have, it ended up being very helpful.

Apparently in the extremely unlikely event that all US citizens were advised
to evacuate from wherever you're staying, they will assist in your
evacuation.  On the travel registration website, they also provide this
information in their FAQ:
**

   - *How can the embassy or consulate assist me while I am abroad?*

   - U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal,
   medical, or financial difficulties. Although consular officers cannot act as
   your legal counsel or representative, they can provide the names of local
   attorneys and doctors, provide loans to destitute Americans, and provide
   information about dangerous conditions affecting your overseas travel or
   residence. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping
   Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving
   federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms. Consular officers can
   notarize documents, issue passports, and register American children born
   abroad. Most embassies and consulates have web sites with more information.

It seems like the kind of service you never expect to use, but is nice to
have anyways.  While I don't think there exists any credible reason for
anyone to avoid Alexandria, I think this is one free way you can minimize
risk and stay informed while abroad.

-Justin