[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Takes Manhattan! March 28 event with Columbia University students

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 06:15:02 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I just want to give an update on our Wikimedia NYC group and the
nascent "New York City Free Culture Alliance".  We're currently
planning a joint event for March 28 with the Students for Free Culture
chapter at Columbia University, with students to be scrambling all
over Manhattan in a competition to snap Wikipedia-requested photos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Takes_Manhattan

This should be a fairly big event, which they told me might attract up
to 200 students (but then again, it's hard to predict).

And the real-life (as opposed to on-wiki) component is being organized
almost entirely by our friends at Columbia Free Culture.  All it
really took on our part was a willingness to approach them.

Because Wikimedia has I think more friends than many of us realize,
and many partners that would be eager to work with us on a local
level.

Now, if only Chapcom could progress a little faster on the US chapters
issue... :)

Thanks,
Pharos