[Foundation-l] Global rights proposal

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 18:00:00 UTC 2008

2008/6/25 John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>:

> English Wikipedia has 7.4 million users.  The next 20 Wikipedias have
> 4.2 millions users between them. [1]  Two factors that need to be
> factored in: most non-English Wikipedians have an acount on en.WP;
> most English-Wikipedia-only people have accounts on the other
> Wikipedia.  SUL will help to arrive at numbers.

Other vast problem: most of the enwp accounts aren't people. They're
alternate accounts, bot-generated vandalism accounts, etc.

I have no idea how we can reasonably estimate the size of enwiki's
user base (or any other project), but number of user accounts is
basically meaningless.

> Everyone knows that en.WP is the biggest, has the best encyclopedia
> articles...

I wouldn't put too much money on the last one without carefully
defining a metric first!

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk