[Foundation-l] Global rights proposal

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:07:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Christiano Moreschi
<moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Admins rarely are. Certainly not at en. Familiarity with Wikimedia-wide issues is not asked about at RFA: nor is it even thought desirable. It is simply an ignored quality. I'm sure there are tons of non-admins who know far more about this sort of stuff than I do, and I've been an admin at en for over a year and a contributor since early 06. I cannot see a good reason for restricting suffrage to people with +sysop.

This is true. My thoughts are the next: Admin has to be involved into
the project for a longer time (usually) -> it is possible to suppose
that they are more familiar with Wikimedia-wide issues. And I am sure
that this line of thinking has some sense if it is applied
statistically.

But, as I said, it is true that there are a lot of admins who are not
familiar with Wikimedia-wide issues, as well as there are a lot of
non-admins which are familiar with Wikimedia-wide issues.

Some way for resolving the problem related to a lot of noise should be
find: Maybe to make stricter requirements for voting for global
policies? Something like: at least 1000 edits and at least 1 year of
participation at any WM project? Any other idea?