[Foundation-l] Global rights proposal

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:38:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I were to have some global kind of administrative reach, the last place
> where any administrative action I would be likely to undertake would be on
> the wikis with a lot of active bureaucrats or admins. I am more interested
> in the small projects, the languages whose projects are marginal.

There are a couple of options for this issue:
* Making a policy which would be sanctioned by the community (or, if
you prefer, Wikimedians). This is the current process.
* Stewards decides to introduce the role which would cover small
projects. My position is that it is possible because stewards are
taking care about small wikis. However, my position is not the
position of all stewards and I am not sure that stewards would be able
to make such decision.
* WMF Board or ED or whoever from WMF decides so. This is the option,
too; so Board members (or whoever from WMF) may do that.

> I do not want to be a steward with the notion of compulsory service. I want
> to be able to do something when I come across a need. When I cannot, I will
> not. When all the big projects opt out, it makes no difference to me. What
> does make a difference is when there is endless talk without any result..
> Actually endless talk does not make a difference, it only makes a difference
> when there *is* a result.. Until this time, it is business as usual.

It would be good to hear from you how to make the result.