[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project. inmediatly

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 25 07:19:27 UTC 2008

Jesse Plamondon-Willard wrote:
> Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
>> Am I wrong to just get more confused about this situation?  The function
>> of any (sub-)committee is to recommend rather than to decide.
>> [...]
>> The committee's recommendations should take
>> all of these into account and not get overly upset when the community or
>> the Board occasionally comes to a different conclusion.
>>
> There is no community conclusion to take into account, and the board
> has neither objected to any of our recommendations nor vetoed any
> subcommittee decision. A group of users arguing on a mailing list with
> no agreement or compromise is not a consensus. Should there such a
> consensus, the policy would of course be updated accordingly.

I didn't mention consensus in my comments.  Viewed in cold mechanistic
terms you are likely correct.  You are also unlikely to find enough
editors interested in the particular project to care one way or the
other to make a difference to the vote to reject a project.  Alternative
views on small minority proposals are likely to be scattered enough that
rule makers can depend on inertia to keep decisions unchanged.

Ec