[Foundation-l] Global rights proposal

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:16:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM, David Yellope <sirfozzie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before any global rights discussions take place, there needs to be a policy
> in place that any project that wishes to opt-out of said global rights can
> do so.
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I should tell you what the page is. Its [[meta:Global rights]].
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Partly in reaction to the two recent proposals for the adoption of global
>> > user rights, I've started a page on meta containing a proposal for a
>> policy
>> > governing the establishment, implementation and use of all global rights
>> on
>> > Wikimedia Foundation projects. Before we establish a number of different
>> > global rights, with different principles and controls expressed in each
>> > policy, it is essential that we create a framework in which to control
>> these
>> > new rights. After a period of time of discussion on meta, I'll publicize
>> the
>> > proposal on the English Wikipedia and ask that others do the same
>> elsewhere.
>> > After the commons view_deleted proposal, I'll ask that the community on
>> meta
>> > delay consideration of new rights proposals until a broader umbrella
>> policy
>> > can be agreed upon.
>> >
>> > Nathan

Not a policy, a technical means.   If a technical means existed that
prevented "global sysops" from using their powers on Wikis that have
either opted in or not opted out, this would probably pass.
"Promised" means translate to "Promised" support.

As for a policy forbidding it?  Policy is what comes out of the north
end of a south facing bull.  English Wikipedia even has a policy to
that effect.  More politely, policy can and does change, one would be
a fool to rely on it.

WilyD