[Foundation-l] Voting suffrage criteria (established members should be able to vote)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 06:23:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> In short, edit count suffrage requirements, in theory at least, exclude
> legitimate voters, while not excluding people who want to game the system.

They exclude people who want to game the system but not so much as to
spend a couple of hours *per account* to do so... (combined with
having to pass what is effectively a checkuser on all voters..) Voting
twice isn't going to have a huge influence on the election... twenty
times, otoh, is larger than the difference between some of the
candidates in prior elections. :)

There are valid contributors who are excluded.. but we should figure
out who they are and add criteria that allows them... Removing the
"proof of work" check is not our only option for being reasonably
inclusive, but "proof of work" checks are some of the very few
mechanisms we have to dampen sock voting.