[Foundation-l] Voting suffrage criteria (established members should be able to vote)

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 01:38:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Jon <scream at datascreamer.com> wrote:

> I'm speaking for the next round of elections.  Nothing can be done for
> this time, I would not expect anything to be done for this round.  I'm
> speaking of what we can do in the future.
>
> Best, Jon

You choose to discard your prior identity, and I am guessing that your
new identity was unable to meet the March 1 deadline for having 600
edits because of the timing of the new identity.

Right to vanish ... is a right to ... _vanish_.  It is inappropriate
to tailor processes of corporate governance around the right to
vanish, ... and then re-appear.

Your proposal would require an exceptional amount of additional work,
as similar requests will come in from various languages, requiring
translation assistance and introducing uncertainty into the process.
There would be complaints that identity merging requests were not
processed in time, and there will also be fraudulent attempts to usurp
inactive accounts in order to gain suffrage.

A more suitable approach would be to encourage people to meet suffrage
criteria with their new accounts before discarding their old account.
Perhaps this should be mentioned on RTV.

--
John Vandenberg