[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project.inmediatly

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Jun 22 21:56:50 UTC 2008

This is silly. The biggest Wikinews project is English, and we struggle. On
a good day, we have 10-20 articles, but the days where we have ten or less
outnumber those. Just how many competent Latin authors do we seriously think
we can muster? How many articles can they write *per day*? This is seriously
different from Wikipedia, you have a very short window of opportunity where
something is news; it just comes across as a vanity idea for those would-be
dilettantes who might contribute one or two articles a month. You need to
generate new content day-in, day-out, continually.

I've said it before, and it is effectively a project axiom now, "Facts don't
cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news".

Efforts would be better directed at working out how to get those guilty of
recentism on Wikipedia to work on Wikinews, and to getting Wikinews'
archiving managed such that the project's stories can be used as sources for
Wikipedia articles.

Simple English is a different kettle of fish, but Wikinews would
realistically only be provided as an educational project for improving
people's language skills. I'm afraid it seems we're a long way from
educators regularly using Wikimedia projects for such purposes. For a simple
English Wikinews to work those educators would have to be doing the
translation/simplification themselves, I think we're 5-10 years away from
wiki in general being sufficiently accepted to see such happen. I hope it
happens, and I see a great potential for simple English coverage of current
affairs being an educational tool. Yet, there is nothing stopping people
from contributing articles on the regular English project that are
restricted to the simple vocabulary and labelling them as such. I would have
no problem with less common words having links to wiktionary for a
definition, and if such were to improve the function of the project in
spreading knowledge I don't think anyone else would either.

Brian McNeil