[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project. inmediatly

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sat Jun 21 07:15:12 UTC 2008

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Dan Rosenthal wrote:
>> We have a Latin Wikipedia that is alive and well, and proceeding quite
>> nicely. Why would we reject the Latin Wikinews?
>>
> For that matter, what's so wrong about having a Simple English
> Wikinews?  The question of an ISO code may be a strong prima facie
> consideration, but it should not be an absolute rule.
>
> Assuming that there are enough interested people to keep it going, such
> a progress has a clear audience.  It would, for example, be very useful
> for English as a Second Language (ESL) classes where having contemporary
> texts in readable language would be a great stimulus to language
> development.

Most likely the reason there's no code for it is because the administering
bodies both think Simple English is the same language as English. Maybe
they're right, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have wikis in it. Maybe
the language committee is the wrong body to decide on wiki creation in
cases like this.

-- Tim Starling