[Foundation-l] New draft of privacy policy

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 23:03:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Your input is welcome. Please note that voting on this policy is planned
> next week-end during the 21st of June board meeting. So, input is
> welcome NOW.

While the draft is very good as a supporting explanatory essay, I
don't think it's written as a policy; it's unnecessarily verbose,
reads like an essay or opinion piece, makes incorrect assumptions
(like "everyone can contribute", "history [...] is preserved
indefinitely", or "you are encouraged but not required to register
with your real name" (some wikis specifically discourage that due to
stalking, etc)), significantly addresses non-privacy subjects (like
community values, copyright, or user access hierarchy), and uses
redundant section numbering (sections are numbered automatically in
the table of contents). I think the explanatory material should be
moved to a separate essay, so that the policy only contains policy.

I've drafted a rewritten policy that addresses these and other
concerns (such as undue references to en-Wikipedia) at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Draft_Privacy_Policy_June_2008#Rewrite>.
I'd also appreciate input on that rewritten draft.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)