[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 13 21:32:14 UTC 2008

George Herbert wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Dan Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> I'd certainly ask for advice from counsel on this, but I would want to
>> know: "given that Baidupedia is starting with GFDL content, does the
>> fact that they obscure that their content is licensed under the GFDL
>> prevent all subsequent derivative edits from also being unknowingly
>> licensed under the GFDL?"
>>
>> Essentially, if you are making a derivative work of a viral/share-
>> alike/GFDL style content, but you do not know what the status of the
>> original was (and did not agree to license your content under the
>> GFDL), what is the copyright status of the newly created derivative
>> work?
>>
>> We'd need to know the answer to that question before doing a "reverse
>> Baidupedia". If the answer is "It's under the GFDL" then we're ok to
>> proceed (ignoring for a second the moral issues). If the answer is
>> something other than that, we may not be able to do it.
>>
> In contract terms, this seems like a classic failure of meeting of the
> minds - if the secondary contributor is unaware of the original
> license on the material, then they cannot have agreed to the license,
> and likely cannot be held to it.

Perhaps one of our Chinese speakers can explain just what Baidu claims
for copyright.  If they purport to retain it for themselves, and deny
any rights to their own contributors it may be that the rights of those
contributors are not legally relevant. It strikes me as unlikely that
they would have any scheme in place that recognizes any rights for their
contributors.

Dan makes a good point about legal counsel.  A responsible Board member
needs to give closer scrutiny to legal implications before moving from
proposal to implementation.  Even then, legal advice is not completely
binding.  Reading and literally applying statutes in isolation from
their context can produce bizarre results. Case law and the probability
of adverse effects also play a role, as does the collective tolerance of
the Board for what could happen.

In a mailing-list discussion we need to explore all possibilities.  A
premature determination that something is illegal or won't work closes
the opportunity to follow that less travelled road that everyone has
been overlooking.  NPOV discussions are often best resolved by looking
for that alternative wording that will make both sides happy.

While the moral arguments need to be considered we should not extend
them to the point of self-righteousness.  For now we don't have a strong
enough factual framework to derive a meaningful moral conclusion.

Ec