[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Thu Jun 12 19:35:17 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> This may be a cultural difference between you and I then. In the U.S.,
> intellectual property is property.

This issue is not about the law - it is about politics. The law is
perfectly clear. But the true question is:

Do we want at least some of our content to be distributed to mainland
China so much, that we accept it is done by breaking the law?

And of course no one can stop an individual contributor to zh-WP from
suing Baidu in any legal system and country, where Baidu has assets, for
infringing his or her copyright. But posters in this thread repeated
demanded that the Foundation get active to support the claims of
individual authors.

For one, this is not possible under the current license (and any planned
revision I have heard of). And: I don't think it would be wise, because
I prefer getting at least some of our content inside the country over
not getting it in and supporting starving IP lawyers.

The Great Firewall is a fact. And insisting on license issues and
attribution would unfortunately be playing the game of the powers that
are in the Peoples Republic. Because that would prohibit the people
there from accessing even the noncontroversial content, that was
available to them, because someone considered the distribution of
knowledge more important then IP law. I think it is a safe bet, that
Baidu will not attribute the content to Wikipedia authors and will not
put parts of their system under the GFDL.

And beyond the issue at hand: There are so many infringing mirrors out
there, that a service in China that hosts a bunch of non related
articles copied by individuals is insignificant.

Ciao Henning