[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 16:00:49 UTC 2008

Handling it "the asian way" may work for instances in asia. But what about
in the West, where "losing face" is not a relevant concept? We have to think
beyond this one instance to the general principle that applies. The actual
methods with which we use to address these situations can certainly vary
depending on where the other site is located and how much of our content
they are using. But it is silly, and perhaps discriminatory, for us to say
"Well, if it's an Asian site, we'll embarass them, but if they are not Asian
we'll simply leave them alone unless we want to sue them". It's more
effective for us to say "We won't tolerate this anywhere, and we will take
firm action against reusage of our content in a way that flagrantly violates
the GFDL. The precise type of action will vary depending on what the site
is, where it is located, etc., what they are using, how big they are etc."

-Dan

On 6/12/08, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:

> Robert Stojnic wrote:
> > Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

> >> Even though that is probably true, stealing from somebody because he
> >> stole from you does not exactly sound like a good idea.
> >>

> > I agree, the current situation is not exactly great, cooperation to
> > mutual benefit is far better, but enforcing the western-viewpoint at any
> > cost is by far the worst ( which is what seems to be pushed by some
> > people on this mailing list ).
> >
> > Robert
> Please reread my mails about handling it the Asian way .....
>
> Waerth

Dan Rosenthal