[Foundation-l] Policy proposal: Anti-vandal fighter role

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Jun 12 10:35:30 UTC 2008

There is a world of difference between telling another contributor the
content of a deleted page and, say, passing it to ValleyWag or Wikileaks. In
the cases I have in mind, the "breach" was passing the information to a
third party which would publicly promote it.

There is the possibility someone could have saved the content prior to its
deletion, or retrieved a version from their browser cache. However, it seems
more likely that someone used administrative privileges to retrieve the
content to pass on to Wikileaks.

Of the two articles on Wikinews that I am referring to, one was likely libel
and could perhaps have been oversighted. The other should be restored in the
course of time and brought up to date. The restoration is dependent on the
conclusion of a court case, and as was stressed to me, the publication on
Wikinews potentially put WMF staff in the position of having given
misleading information to the court.

Brian McNeil