[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:24:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Ting Chen <Wing.Philopp at gmx.de> wrote:

> > It is an issue of the individuals, because they are the ones whose
> > rights have been breached.
>
> This is not that easy. If I contribute for the GNU projects and a company
> comes and takes the part of code I contributed, builds it in its own
> software and claim it to be its own property. It is my right that is
> breached, yes. But the FSF would take the intrest of the project and sue the
> company.

IANAL, but how exactly can they sue them if they don't own the copyright
(resp. patent rights or whatever) to the software?
Are you suggesting that the WMF takes 'mandates' from individual WM
contributors to sue on behalf of them? This would probably mean that a
fund/endowment for 'the legal defense of the moral rights of Wikimedia
contributors" would need to be created...

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler at gmail.com