[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 19:13:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Who David Shankbone is, and why he is relevant to this thread, is explained
> in the link found in the first post.  He was a prolific member of  the
> English Wikipedia and (I believe) English Wikinews, interviewing a number of
> high profile individuals and uploading multiple thousands of original
> photos. He's since left the projects, due in part to harassment that he
> describes in the linked article.

David's case, which has been going on for quite a while, included very
significant quantities of real-life harrassment and threats, much
beyond the on-wiki incidents which were related.

It is one of the better examples of a problem clearly transcending
Wikipedia's ability to mitigate the effects, though there was more
happening on-wiki than we should have allowed to happen.

I appreciate that David is willing to speak out publicly about what
happened to him.  Perhaps this will help motivate change.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com