[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 10 17:59:51 UTC 2008

I think this is the most realistic analysis of the situation in the thread.

I'm assuming from your statement that you ended up in court, that your
stalker at least lives in the same state as you.  When you add
jurisdictional issues to the mix the problem becomes even worse.  Law
enforcement people would rather have a clear-cut case that they can take
to court for a quick conviction.  They don't want to be spending a lot
of resources in cases where there is a lack of solid evidence.  It's on
a par with a law that says that you can't kill a rattlesnake unless it
has bitten you.

Sitewide banning is a problem when the alleged stalker's behaviour on
the secondary wiki has been exemplary for a considerable time.  The
regular participants on the secondary site likely know nothing of the
dispute until the ban is applied.  For them the dispute is starting from
square one.  They have never expressed their view, or even had an
opportunity to express their view when the problem was first heard.
When someone from another project begins his pursuit on the secondary
project the pursuer becomes identified as the stalker.

You are right in saying that the most effective and serious stalkers are
not going to do their worst damage on the site.  Often the evidence is
nothing more than a claim that threats have been made in a private
e-mail or a phone call.  I don't doubt that the person making the claim
believes that there has been a threat, but not everyone would treat the
same words as a threat.  We are dealing with a one-sided interpretation
of the facts.

I can agree that questions of real illegality need to be dealt with at
the Board level, but the risk is that too easily leads to simplistic
solutions which can be either ineffectual or overkill.

Ec