[Foundation-l] Britannica

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 10 08:06:37 UTC 2008

Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>> objectives. At this point, it would be better if they
>> approached us with an idea and/or proposal (instead of us
>> going to them) because Britannica is still trying to figure
>> out how to be successful in a world that is increasingly moving
>> online that values community and collaboration:
>>
> Actually, to me it sounds exactly as a reason to approach them. If they
> are still undecided about their global policy, they might as well be
> succeptible to reasonable argument. And Microsoft core values are very
> much different from ours.
I don't think that it matters which side initiates contact, but if we do
it should be from the highest level, and with great diplomacy.  EB has a
history of financial disasters going back to the 1820's, but the brand
name keeps surviving.  Investors seem to want the prestige more than
anything else; they're often rich enough to not care if they lose big
money.

Is there anything available as an offer they can't refuse? O:-)

Ec