[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mouvement

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 00:26:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I posted a proposition regarding the Wikimedia Mouvement here:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Www.wikimedia.org_template
>>
>> The general idea is to create a website which would report on our global
>> mouvement. Main benefits would be
>> * to present ourselves as a loose but nevertheless coordinated body of
>> some sort (public face)
>> * share practices and experiences between chapters and wmf
>>
>> Situation right now is not satisfactory and I believe it likely to
>> create either more tension or more separation in the future. Generally,
>> information regarding wikimedia mouvement is hosted on
>> * internalwiki (private wiki shared between some chapters members and wmf),
>> * on meta (access to information is very confusing since it is mostly a
>> work-wiki and a wiki shared by many),
>> * on Foundationwiki (eg
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room/Media_Contact_2008)
>> * on each association website (eg http://wikimedia.de/)
>>
>> Can we discuss that ? If you are supportive, please mention it on the
>> wiki page
>
> Add there unofficial Wikimedian organizations, too: From the seeds for
> the future chapters (all over USA, for example) and semi-official
> organizations like Wikinewsie is to the (Not The) Wikipedia Weekly,
> Wikizine etc.

As someone who has been involved in organizing a New York City chapter
(and has been watching other US efforts), indeed, I think this could
be useful.

I agree with some that calling it the "Wikipedia Movement" might not
be best.  Maybe the "Wikimedia Network" (as suggested by Florence) or
"Wikimedia Volunteers Movement" or something.

Another benefit I see could be an e-mail directory of dedicated
Wikimedians in different cities and regions, available for press
inquiries and outreach to academic and cultural institutions.  This
directory shouldn't be allowed to grow stale, and should be pruned
regularly.

If and when this wiki is started, I would also propose an aggressive
policy of merging and redirecting the clutter of half-formed idea
pages which we will inevitably see.  This site should be clearly
oriented as a public face.

Thanks,
Pharos