[Foundation-l] Board vote, need a bit of help

Ryan wiki.ral315 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 19:23:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 3:03 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I ranked the people I had an opinion about, and then for the
> remaining candidates that I do not particularly want to be board
> members, I didn't try to figure out their relative position to one
> another but just left them unranked, since I thought that would mean
> they are all ranked as "equally low preference -- do not want" by the
> software. The directions sort of indicated that is what to do.
>
> However, you're saying that it's better if all choices are ranked,
> even if I give several people a "99" by hand? Or should I take the
> time to uniquely rank them? I'm not sure I understand why that's
> better given the outcome I want, which is for none of those people to
> become board members.
>
> It will be interesting to see if a bunch of foundation-l readers
> revote after this thread :)
> -- phoebe

If you rank everyone, giving them a "99" by hand is no different than
leaving them unranked (which is, for all intents and purposes, giving them a
"100")

Uniquely ranking the candidates you don't like doesn't help or hurt them
with respect to the candidates you do like.  All that does is say that you
prefer "Unlikable Candidate A" over "Unlikable Candidate B", and if your
likable candidate is not elected, you're saying that you'd want A before B.

Essentially, the point is that if you have a preference, even a slight one,
you should rank your choices separately.  If you make no distinction between
the unfavorable candidates, you don't have to rank them, but ranking won't
hurt the candidates you do like.

--
[[User:Ral315]]